Animal Care Tech (Part-Time) - #135322
Meharry Medical College
Under close supervision, work performed involves caring for experimental animals, i.e. mice, rats, guinea pigs etc., providing some technical assistance to researcher and performing related work as required.
- Attends to laboratory animals. Cleans and washes cages, floors, animal quarters and equipment. Measures and mixes feed.
- Performs euthanasia under direction of veterinary staff.
- General animal husbandry
- Assists with clerical duties as needed.
- Reports supply inventories.
- Reports and records data regarding number of animals, equipment and environmental control readings, etc
- Assists with research and studies.
- Observes and reports animal behavior.
- Performs related and occasionally other duties as assigned.
This position expected to work most weekends and holidays. If there is open availability to work during the week, this will be acceptable. The schedule is flexible but weekend and holiday availability is a requirement.
For the initial training, the employee is expected to come in during the week to get trained prior to working on the weekends and holidays.
- Knowledge of basic aspects of caring for animals in a research environment.(training will be provided)
- Knowledge of the use of required laboratory tools and equipment.
- Ability to handle and care for experimental animals.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to provide humane care for research animals .
- High school diploma preferred. Must be able to read, write and calculate at a ninth grade level.
- Three months related work experience preferred.
At Meharry, we’re pleased to offer comprehensive, competitive benefits to eligible employees and their eligible dependents. From health care to holidays, our aim is to help employees enjoy happy and healthy lifestyles, while maintaining a good work-life balance.
Meharry’s benefits package includes:
403(b) plan and supplemental annuity plan
Accidental death and dismemberment
Other supplemental coverage
Our vacation benefits vary with length and type of service. We grant twelve (12) paid holidays.
Meharry Medical College’s benefits package is designed to offer flexibility and variety of choice. All full
time staff working 32 or more hours per week are eligible for benefits. Select benefits are available for
Meharry strives to offer their employees a professional environment in which they can both work
and build a career. As part of this effort, we offer a tuition reimbursement program and professional
development training to assist you with your career path.
For Further Information or Questions regarding this role, you may contact Meharry's Talent Acquisition Specialist below.
Jouvie Henderson (she, her, hers)