Assistant Athletic Trainer (4711) - #135143
Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and outcomes prevail.
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of public policy, law, the arts, communications, international development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented, and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here.
Summary/ObjectiveResponsible for assisting with the prevention, care, evaluation, rehabilitation and treatment of acute and chronic orthopedic and medical conditions related to participation in intercollegiate athletics. Assisting the Assistant Athletic Director-Sports Medicine with providing comprehensive health care for 250 student-athletes and aiding in the day-to-day administration of the American University Sports Medicine program This position works under the supervision of the Assistant Athletic Director-Sports Medicine and Team Physicians
- Attends athletic events and practices, both home and away to prepare athletes for contests and practices
- Makes initial evaluation of injuries and provides immediate care to injured athletes to determine extent of injury and need for further follow-up medical care
- Administers and supervises use of therapeutic modalities for the purpose of conditioning and reconditioning athletes and athletic injuries
- Administration of the training room to ensure that the facility runs smoothly: maintains accurate injury and treatment records; cleans and maintains modalities; cleans, maintains and restocks treatment and taping areas; supervises hourly work study students.
- Processing and documenting the handling of insurance claims on behalf of student-athletes for services related to injuries and illnesses directly related to participation in intercollegiate athletics for American University
- In the absence of the Assistant Athletic Director-Sports Medicine this positions is responsible for the supervision of the facility, responding to requests for service and coordination of staff
- Inventory Management: documenting receipt of supplies ordered, tracking of levels of supplies on hand, alerting Assistant Athletic Director-Sports Medicine when ordering becomes necessary
- Maintains athletic training knowledge through regular attendance at conferences and symposium, regularly reading scholarly articles and journals relevant to the field of athletic training and through continuing research in field of athletic training.
- Assigned additional departmental duties and responsibilities and situations that may develop
- This position reports directly to the Assistant Athletic Director-Sports Medicine.
- Assisting the Assistant Athletic Director - Sports Medicine in providing comprehensive health care for 250 student-athletes. This care involves injury prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation
- Direct supervision of not less than 2 varsity teams
- This position requires travel and a considerable time above regular daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly University work schedule requirements.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time
- Coordinator/Analyst B
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Athletic Training or related field, BOC Inc. Certification and CPR/AED Certification are required.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience working at the NCAA Division-I level preferred; experience working with college athletics preferred
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, several leadership development certificates, and has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite. Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- Employees in staff positions at American University must deliver their services to the university from either the District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, or perform work on-site at the university.
- Please note this job announcement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email [email protected].
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.