Field Auditor, Chassis Fleet Maintenance - #135256
South Carolina Ports Authority
The South Carolina Ports Authority (SCPA) owns and operates public seaport and intermodal facilities in Charleston, Dillon, Georgetown and Greer. Our 900+ employees handle cargo, operate and maintain cargo handling equipment, manage port facilities and operations, and support the port system in a fast-paced 24/7 environment.
This position will be a member of the SCPA Chassis Fleet Maintenance Team. This team will be responsible for auditing intermodal container equipment both pre and post repair in the field, contributing to the SCPA approval or rejection of work orders for equipment repairs, and directing SCPA repair vendors. The Chassis Fleet Maintenance team will ensure that equipment meets or exceeds SC Ports Authority expectations for quality, is being properly used, maintained, and make available for SCPA customers with maintenance & repair dollars being properly appropriated.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Quality control inspections of intermodal container chassis in the field to ensure equipment meets or exceeds SC Ports Authority quality expectations.
- Auditing of repair vendor operations involving the management, handling, or repair of SCPA equipment
- Using SCPA chassis management system for approval and/or rejection of repair vendor billing, locating equipment and validating maintenance trends.
- Project leader for maintenance team initiatives specific to location, vendor, repair trend or fleet concern
- Project leader for maintenance team initiative specific to location, vendor, repair trend or fleet concern.
- Ensuing compliance with FMCSA regulations, HCL repair criteria and/or any other criteria the SCPA deems necessary.
- Engage with port, company representatives, and maintenance personnel to track asset movements and ensure accurate accountability, scheduling, and coordination of M&R activities.
- Traveling to vendor and/or customer locations for inspections
Additional Job Responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Three to five years of experience in yard operations
- A valid South Carolina driver's license is required to operate a Ports Authority owned licensed motor vehicle.
- Thorough understanding of the mechanical and electrical functionality relating to intermodal chassis equipment
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership abilities within an organization - must be able to lead a team and still be an active participant within that team.
- Ability to adeptly use desktop, laptop, or tablet type computers.
- Well versed in MS office suite and able to use basic IT systems such as SCPA chassis management systems.
- Basic and Technical reading and writing skills (e.g., maintenance manuals, prints) in the English language.
- Engage with port representatives and maintenance personnel to track asset movements and ensure accurate accountability, scheduling, and coordination of M&R activities.
- Advanced mechanical training or working experience equivalent.
- Welding Certification or welding experience
- Previous chassis inspection experience within the intermodal/shipping industry
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Must be willing to work flexible schedules that may be more than eight (8) hours per day and include early mornings, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Some overnight travel may be required.
- Must be capable of standing, walking, and/or sitting eight (8) hours per day.
- Must be capable of bending, stooping, and/or kneeling for a minimum of (4) hours per day.
- Must be capable of getting down onto the ground and standing back up again without issue.
- Must be capable of lifting and/or carrying items of not more than fifty (50) pounds for a minimum of eight (8) hours per day.
- Must be capable of wearing required personal protective equipment (e.g., safety glasses, safety shoes, hard hat, reflective vests)
- Must be capable of using hand tools (e.g., torque wrench, air pressure gauges) and power tools (e.g., drills, impact wrenches)
SC Ports Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.