Head of Investment Controllership - #146978
Jobs for Humanity
Company Name: MassMutual
About the Corporate Controller Organization:
The Controllers Organization is responsible for managing financial information and ensuring its accuracy and credibility. We communicate this information to leadership, business partners, and regulators to make informed decisions about the company's performance and future strategies. Our team consists of professionals with expertise in accounting, financial reporting, tax, policy and controls, cash operations, corporate finance data and systems management, and wealth management finance activities. We are looking for engaging professionals with strong communication skills and a curiosity to ensure timely and efficient reporting of results. We don't just perform tasks; we also add value by challenging existing practices, strengthening controls, and providing insights.
We are seeking a Head of Investment Controllership to lead a team responsible for managing the accounting, oversight, analysis, and reporting of the company's investment portfolio. This team works closely with Investment Management and our subsidiaries. As part of the Financial Controllership team, you will play a critical role in ensuring the company's financial stewardship. This is an opportunity for someone who thrives in a dynamic and agile environment to collaborate with teams focused on execution and improving outcomes. We are looking for an accounting professional who wants to drive process improvements, meaningful analysis, and better coordination with our Investment partners.
The impact of the role:
This role provides insight into critical areas of the business that contribute to MassMutual's growth, innovation, and financial success.
As a member of the Financial Controllership team, you will contribute to shaping the future of the organization, developing future leaders, and supporting the growth and analysis within the Investment Controllership team.
- Lead a team responsible for accurate accounting and analysis of routine and non-routine investment processes
- Oversee financial reporting, accounting, and related implications for non-routine investment transactions, working closely with Reporting, Accounting Policy, and Investment Management teams
- Create executive-level presentations on accounting results for the consolidated portfolio
- Manage the Company's asset pricing policies and approve month-end asset prices as Chairman of the Asset Pricing Policy Committee
- Develop and motivate team members, providing coaching and leadership development
- Establish and maintain internal controls for investment controllership processes
- Foster an engaged and motivated team environment by identifying opportunities for growth and learning
- Manage priorities effectively and adapt quickly to achieve goals, while seeking efficiencies
- Thrive in a complex corporate structure and adapt to changing circumstances
- Lead a collaborative and inclusive culture by working closely with Investment Management and other Controllers teams
- Identify and implement accounting improvements to increase business value and efficiency
- Problem-solve to improve quality, cycle times, efficiencies, employee engagement, and customer satisfaction
- Oversee asset classifications to ensure consistency with accounting policies
The ideal candidate would have the following skills, experience, and competencies:
- 15+ years of work experience with increasing responsibility
- Significant knowledge and experience of investments in the insurance industry context
- Strong knowledge and experience of U.S. GAAP and U.S. Statutory guidance
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a related discipline
- CPA required
- Strong analytical skills to analyze financial data and provide insights
- Proven ability to lead and develop a highly effective team
- Experience overseeing a team responsible for analyzing new investments and driving appropriate accounting and reporting
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships across different groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to explain ideas clearly and persuasively
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment and leading the team in executing priorities and deliverables
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to continue learning and expanding knowledge
MassMutual is an equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome all individuals to apply, including those from minority groups, with disabilities, and from the LGBTQIA+ community. Veterans are also encouraged to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you require accommodations during the application process, please contact us to discuss your specific needs.