Medical Assistant - #135291
Date: 1 week ago
City: Oklahoma City, OK
Contract type: Full time
Position Title: Medical Assistant Department: HB GIM/Medicine Specialty/Senior Health Clinic Job Description: General Description: Under direct supervision of a physician or other medical personnel, performs routine patient care functions such as physician assistance, patient placement, testing, information gathering, nursing duties, chaperoning, supply maintenance, and scheduling. May coordinate schedules of patients in an outpatient clinic and provide clerical assistance toward the smooth operation of the facility Essential Responsibilities:
- Physician Assistance. Assists physician or other medical personnel in the examination process as required or necessary. Performs order entry to electronic medical records, i.e., prescription refills, sets up lab tests or x-rays, etc.
- Patient Placement. Places patients in exam rooms. Drapes and positions patients for appropriate exams or procedures. Assists in restraining or controlling patients (infants, children, geriatrics, etc.).
- Test Performance. Performs routine tests on patients such as audiograms, vision, spirometer, EKG, rapid strep, urinalysis, and urine pregnancy tests. Assists with cardiovascular stress tests, fetal non-stress tests, and OB ultrasounds.
- Information Gathering. Obtains and records vital signs including body temperature, height, weight, and takes blood pressure. Takes and documents complaints and patient histories including allergies, immunization histories, etc. Maintains patient confidentiality. Receives and returns telephone calls from or to patients and pharmacies. Obtains authorizations and referrals.
- Nursing. Performs various nursing duties such as suture removal, casting and steristrip applications, administration of injections, venipunctures, breathing treatments, ultrasound therapy, and hydroculator therapy. Assists with both surgical and non-surgical procedures.
- Chaperoning. Chaperones examinations and patients.
- Supply Maintenance. Responsible for stocking exam rooms, taking inventory, ordering supplies, and sterilizing instruments and/or equipment.
- Scheduling. Makes scheduling arrangements with other healthcare professionals and facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Medical Assistant - American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- Registered Medical Assistant - American Association of Medical Personnel
- Registered Medical Assistant - American Allied Health
- Certified Medical Assistant - American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
- Assessment-Based Recognition in Order Entry - American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant - National Healthcareer Association
- National Certified Medical Assistant - National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- Nationally Registered Certified Medical Assistant - National Association for Health Professionals
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Ability to interact professionally with healthcare practitioners and patients.
- Ability to effectively communicate information.
- Ability to observe and obtain information from all relevant sources.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Must be detail oriented and able to complete work tasks.
- Ability to maintain composure even in difficult situations.
- Ability to be understanding and sensitive to needs of others.