Senior New Product Development Engineer - #135386
At Fortune Brands Innovations, we believe that our innovation and success are fueled by the passion of our people and the strength of our teams. Together, we work to fulfill dreams of home by aligning around common goals, being agile in the face of change, holding ourselves accountable, and acting with integrity and transparency. We succeed when everyone belongs and strive to build a Home for All where all associates can be their true, authentic selves at work. Learn more about our culture here.
As the Senior New Product Development Engineer, you will work with cross functional teams to design, develop, and validate new products from concept to launch. You will mentor new talent, especially entry level engineers with the possibility to mentor co-op students. Your design work will support our Class of 2025, 2026 product launches and beyond, that continue to drive sales and our vitality index.
Our goal is to take our products and bring them into the digital future. If you are curious, like to think creatively, make and test designs to better people’s daily lives, then this is the growth opportunity for you.
The ideal candidate will have a formal degree in engineering, prior experience in new product design and development or have worked in an area doing product research and development, used Stage Gate process, and live within 3 hours of our Technology Innovation Center in Monclova, OH/Toledo, OH area.
While we don’t require you to be in the office every day, this role will need you to be able to travel to our Innovation Center for testing and teams’ meetings as business requires. The salary range for this role is a base range of $105 - $125k with bonus opportunity.
What you will be doing:
- Learn and apply lean product development tools, systematic problem solving and critical thinking to new product development projects.
- Successfully execute the development and implementation of product introductions and product changes
- Understand and actively manage system design requirements, conduct system DFMEA’s, design reviews and utilize other robust engineering practices such as DOE’s, tolerance stackups, limit testing, FEA, etc. to bring new products through production into the marketplace predictably.
- Liaison with supply chain personnel, vendors, and manufacturing staff for the specification and sourcing of raw materials, components, and final products.
- Develop DVP’s, coordinate testing, and provide hands-on troubleshooting to ensure requirements are met.
- Assure product quality with thorough validation of production fabrication (via executing plant trials), assembly, and installation processes.
- Provide manufacturing and operations support during critical product launch phases.
- Work closely with the Quality department to address any outstanding internal and external quality and product issues.
- Support cross-functional team members by mentoring areas of expertise for technical questions and solutions in at least one engineering or product area.
- Set examples for excellence in engineering practice and rigor by successfully coaching junior engineers inside and outside of peer reviews as well as design review.
- B.S. degree in Engineering (Mechanical preferred) from an accredited university
- Minimum of 8 years product design and development experience
- New product development launch and Stage Gate experience
- Proven track record of delivering products and/or processes to launch with differentiated innovative fit form and function.
- Experience with 3-D Parametric Solid Modeling (Solid Edge or Solid Works is a plus), Microsoft Project, and Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Significant cross functional experience in interfacing with sourcing, quality, and manufacturing within product development, cost-out, continuous improvement and other business-led initiatives.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong strategic thinking skills.
- Desire to work hands-on, prototype and troubleshoot.
- M.S. degree in Engineering (Mechanical).
- SolidWorks certification.
- Ability to perform tolerance stack-ups (using Sigmetrix or similar), review process capability and manage changes accordingly.
- Experience with extrusions (Aluminum and plastic, both single and co-extrusion) & similar manufacturing methods.
- Experience with plastic materials (fiberglass composites, thermoplastics, or similar preferred) & manufacturing methods such as injection molding.
- Experience with weather seals and similar materials/profiles.
- Predictive engineering and analysis experience using finite element analysis (FEA), hand calculation, or similar (Ansys, Abaqus, SolidWorks FEA).
- Excellent knowledge of applied mechanics.
- Experience in vinyl windows and/or entry and storm doors or building materials.
- Experience in hardware (handle sets, hinges, etc.)
- Experience interfacing with IP counsel.
At Fortune Brands Innovations, we support the overall health and wellness of our associates by offering comprehensive, competitive benefits that prioritize all aspects of wellbeing and provide flexibility for our teammates’ unique needs. This includes robust health plans, a market-leading 401(k) program with a company contribution, product discounts, flexible time off benefits (including half-day summer Fridays per policy), inclusive fertility / adoption benefits, and more. We offer numerous ERGs (Employee Resource Groups) to support inclusivity and our associates’ feeling of belonging at work.
Fortune Brands Innovation (FBIN) is built on industry-leading brands and innovation within our operating segments: Plumbing, Doors and Security. We have an impressive track record of strong financial results, market outperformance and growth, which translates into career and professional growth opportunities for associates. Please visit our website at fbin.com to learn more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
FBIN is an equal opportunity employer. FBIN evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability/handicap status, marital status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, or any other legally protected characteristic.
FBIN is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please contact us at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.