Compensation & Benefits Manager
Homeland StoresFull time Full day
Job Summary: The Compensation & Benefits Manager is responsible for managing the overall administration of the company’s total rewards programs including base compensation, ESOP, pension, 401(k), health and welfare benefits and HRIS. She/he will participate in the strategic planning and development of policies and procedures, new programs and technology that support recruiting and retention efforts. This position will work closely with internal business partners across the organization to continually enhance and improve HAC’s total rewards offering for employees and their families, while ensuring programs remain innovative, competitive, financially sustainable, and aligned with strategic business objectives.
The Compensation & Benefits Manager reports to the Vice President of Human Resources and will directly manage a Benefits Administrator, Compensation/Retirement Analyst, and HRIS Administrator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the design, implementation and ongoing evaluation of the compensation and benefits programs including base pay, incentive pay, health and wellness benefits (medical, dental, vision, FSA, HSA), life insurance, ESOP, pension and 401(K).
- Oversee HRIS administration and reporting/data analytics.
- Manage self-funded non-union health and dental plans, monitor third party administrators, stop loss carrier, and associated vendors. Coordinate with union providers.
- Negotiate and contract with benefit plan providers, vendors, auditors, and consultants for services and plan administration.
- Recommend compensation and benefit plan changes to management.
- Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations. Ensure timeliness and accuracy of required reporting and fees for: 1095, ACA, and 5500 data collection
- Audit compensation and benefit plans for compliance with government regulations. Prepares and facilitates all YTD audits for health and welfare plans
- Review and analyze changes to state and federal regulations pertaining to compensation and benefits and report necessary changes to relevant member of department.
- Prepares and communicates information to employees and former employees about the programs, procedures, changes, and government-mandated disclosures.
- Resolve administrative problems with the carrier representatives and respond to employee concerns.
- Coordinate the resolution of claims, enrollment, and eligibility issues.
- Audit, reconcile and coordinate with finance/ payroll the remittance processes for benefit-related invoices.
- Manage annual benefits open enrollment process.
- Oversee leaves of absence, including FMLA, maternity, military, and unpaid leaves.
- Oversee COBRA administration.
- Maintain all plan documents and benefit records.
- Oversee the program management and compliance for the pension, 401(k) and ESOP plans.
- Develops, recommends, and monitors budget allocations for all employee benefits programs. Prepares year end budgets for bonus plans, vacation, holiday, non-pay dollars, and health and welfare.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Requires Bachelor's degree in HR, Business or related field or equivalent work experience that provides extensive knowledge of fundamental theories, principles, and concepts plus 5 years’ relevant work experience in Human Resources, Business, or related field.
- Expertise in Excel and Microsoft Office
- Minimum of 3-5 years leading a team
- Experience with Paycom
- Experience managing a self-funded health plan
- Experience operating in a collective bargaining environment
- Experience transitioning to a digital environment
- Knowledge and experience with Medicare supplement, advantage, and PDP plans
- In-depth knowledge of the Affordable Care Act reporting and compliance
- Demonstrated knowledge of contract negotiations and benefits contract language.
- Ability to prepare and evaluate contract agreements.
- Project management and team leadership skills. Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate information effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including the ACA, COBRA, FMLA, Section 125, ERISA, Medicare, and Social Security.
- Experience with ERISA and PBGC.
- Working knowledge of HRIS systems.
- Strong financial and analytical skills.
- Strong time management skills.
- Self-starter and strong problem solver.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service both internally and externally.
- Strong collaboration skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of protected information.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse and distributed workforce.