Histology Technician - Mohs Surgery, Part Time, Days
Northwestern Memorial HealthcarePart time Full day
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
**This is a Part Time position at 20hrs per week located at the Glenview Outpatient facility. Schedule is Tuesday and Wednesday, 10hr shifts with the start time between 7:30a-8:30a.**
The Histology Technician reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Histology Technician provides technical and clinical support for various physicians and sub-specialists by performing histology related laboratory tests to aid in the diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, and follow up of patients with various health conditions. This position acts as a liaison between the physicians and staff by answering questions and providing educational assistance.
- Performs various tests, lab processing, staining, preparation of slides, special histological stains.
- Tracks supplies and expenses, provides documents and correspondence for reports.
- Prepares, cleans, and maintains instruments.
- Maintains equipment and prepares lab for use, disposes chemicals.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Zero (0) to two (2) years’ experience in a relevant role.
- Previous experience in molecular laboratories (in situ hybridization, polymerase chain reaction).
- One of the following:
- BS degree or higher in biological science
- Associate's degree in a laboratory science, or medical laboratory technology from an accredited institution
- Have education and training that includes 60 semester hours from an accredited institution that includes 24 hours of medical laboratory technology courses
- 24 semester hours that include 6 hours of chemistry, 6 hours of biology and 12 hours of chemistry, biology, or medical laboratory technology in any combination
- HT(ASCP) American Society for Clinical Pathology Histotechnician certification or complete once eligible.
- Experience in immunohistochemistry and tissue processing
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.